Consult with your school's study abroad office or the United States Visa Waiver Program page to determine if you are required to obtain a travel visa and for instructions on how to do so. If required, you should apply for a tourist visa. NMUN conferences do not constitute academic study (i.e. it's not the equivalent of a semester or year of study at a university).
Conferences Held Outside the United States:
As a U.S. based NGO, we are not able to issue invitation letters to attend conferences outside of the United States. Your email confirmation of your registration is the only confirmation of acceptance to the conference we offer. Consular officers may contact us directly at +1.612.353.5649 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Conferences Held Inside the United States:
NMUN is able to provide registered schools needing to request visas for travel to our conferences held in the United States with an official letter from NMUN confirming your invitation to participate. Individual registrants may be requested to provide an official letter of university support.
Unregistered schools or applicants who have not paid the registration fee will not receive assistance. All costs for a visa are the responsibility of the applicant(s). Payment of fees does not guarantee immediate processing of the invitation letter.
Request a Letter:
- Register your school for the conference and pay the registration fee. A letter will not be issued until the registration fee has been paid.
- Contact NMUN, email@example.com, well in advance of your group’s visa interview(s) and make your request for a letter. Please allow at least three business days for a response.
- Provide the names of everyone participating, dates of birth, country of citizenship, passport numbers, and passport expiration dates. Requests should only come from the advisor or head delegate and must include everyone from your school who is attending the conference.
Please provide the information, in the format below, on our NMUN Visa Information Form (.doc). Be sure to collect the information for all delegation members before submitting the form to NMUN.
|Name (as it appears on the passport)
||Date of Birth
|Obama, Barack Hussein
|| 4 Aug 1961
||31 Jan 2020
||13 Jun 1944
||15 Dec 2020
Due to the volume of requests, only one letter per school will be issued listing all applicants. The letter will be sent as a .pdf file.
- Start Early: Contact the Embassy or Consulate upon receiving your assignment to inquire how early participants should apply for visas. It may vary by location. (In general, you should apply more than 60 days in advance of your travel date.)
- Bring the Letter to Your Interview: Bring a copy of the invitation letter provided by NMUN to the Embassy or Consulate.
- Travel with the Letter: A copy of the official NMUN letter should also be carried by each participant when traveling. Having a visa does not guarantee entry; further questions as to the purpose of the visit may be asked upon arrival. Also, bring your travel itinerary showing your return plane ticket and information on any other places you will visit.