NMUN encourages delegations to contact the UN Mission (NY) or Embassy (DC) for the country they are representing to set up a meeting. These briefings allow students to meet with actual representatives of the country they have been studying. Please take advantage of this incredible opportunity. Individual delegations are responsible for scheduling their own briefings with the Permanent Missions in New York City for NMUN•NY (Monday morning before 2 pm) or Embassies in Washington, D.C. for NMUN•DC (Thursday, or Friday morning). If you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please follow this protocol when arranging a briefing:
- Limit the briefing to one hour when scheduling and honor this time limit.
- Send out an Initial Request Letter. You may need to send several inquiries before you receive a response.
- Follow up with a Confirmation Letter.
- Send a thank you note after the briefing.
For NMUN•NY only, Monday morning of the conference is reserved for briefings previously arranged by schools. In some cases the Permanent Mission may not have enough room to accommodate the entire delegation. NMUN•NY offers a limited number of hotel meeting rooms for briefings. Please contact the New York Conference’s Chief of Staff (Conf. A or Conf. B) to request a room on a first-come, first-served basis.
If your delegation schedules the briefing at the hotel:
- Offer to meet the diplomat in a specific place such as under the clock in the 1st floor lobby of the Sheraton.
- Arrive early.
- Provide a sign with his/her name on it.
- Escort him/her to the meeting room, do not ask the diplomat to find his/her own way.
- After the briefing, escort the diplomat out.